Friday 13 May 2016

Review - "Break"

Break, Hard Hit #6
by Charity Parkerson
rating:
published: 18th April 2016
spoilers? yes

Goodreads

Galley provided by publisher

Sometimes, you've just got to admit that you can spot some books are obviously going to be crap from page 1. Even when you're hoping that it won't be.

First of all, everything in this book happened very quickly. I mean I get that it's a novella, but it was still a good 90-page novella so surely all the events could have been spread out a bit longer. As it was, it didn't allow for any development of characters, and the time skips didn't help with that.

Also, it read like a soap opera. I didn't realise I was going to be reading a hockey equivalent of Eastenders. Not that there was much hockey going on, given how much of a soap it was... I mean, like a page in, they're having sex (no build-up to it, we're just supposed to take it as read that they're a) best friends, and b) each crushing on the other), then about 25 pages later, they're broken up because Troy doesn't want to be Noah's "dirty little secret". And then a couple of pages after that, Troy gets into a car crash in which his sister is killed and they don't know if he'll make it. (You see what I mean about the soap opera feel?) Everything sorts itself out in true soap style too, although there's a twist at the end where Noah takes a hit playing hockey and ends up bleeding all over the ice (which, I would like to interject, sounds pretty unbelievable. I've never seen someone go down on their face intentionally, and also why wasn't he wearing a gum shield? Given the (shitty) style of hockey helmets, surely that's a must? Unless you feel like losing your teeth I guess).

That being said, I wasn't entirely against the characters. I did like them (even as I was shaking my head over their (read: Noah's) stupidity at times). It just couldn't override my dislike of the plot.

0 comments:

Post a Comment