Monday 4 June 2018

Review - "A Lady's Guide To Etiquette And Murder"

A Lady's Guide to Etiquette and Murder, A Countess of Harleigh Mystery #1
by Dianne Freeman
rating: ☆☆
published: 26th June 2018
spoilers? none

Goodreads

Galley provided by publisher

For the most part, I was pretty bored by this book. None of the characters really engaged me, the relationship had no tension, and honestly? There was hardly even a serious mystery or any investigating done. In all? Boring.

My major problem was just not feeling anything for the characters. The only one I really liked was George, but even he irritated me at times (the overprotectiveness trope can die already). The rest I just didn't care enough about. That may have partly been behind my lack of investment in the relationship between George and Frances too. I love a slowburn, but there was just no tension to this one. They didn't even really interact that much before starting to call each other by their first names, so there wasn't that much development going on either.

In terms of the plot - there really wasn't that much investigating going on until beyond the halfway point. It just kind of drifted along for most of the book, then all of a sudden the mystery is solved. Not to mention the blurb made it sound like Frances being accused of Reggie's murder was going to be a bigger plot point than it was - it ended up being pretty much brushed aside in the end.

It was also really hard to work out when this book was supposed to be set. I assumed kind of Austen era, but then there are telephones and cars, so obviously it's later than that. It just didn't really have a distinctive feel to it. It could almost have been any time.

So, yeah. Overall, I just didn't have a good time of it with this one.

0 comments:

Post a Comment