Tuesday 6 November 2018

Review - "The Other Miss Bridgerton"

The Other Miss Bridgerton, Rokesbys #3
by Julia Quinn
rating: ☆☆☆☆
published: 20th November 2018
spoilers? no

Goodreads

"It won't be just a kiss, Poppy. It could never be just a kiss between us."


(Almost) no one writes slowburn historical romances like Julia Quinn does. Not to mention she does it with some of my favourite characters ever, and The Other Miss Bridgerton is no different in this respect.

The Other Miss Bridgerton is Andrew Rokesby's book. Andrew is a privateer, running messages for the Foreign Office between Spain/Portugal and England, when his crew are forced to bring aboard Poppy Bridgerton, after she stumbles across their hideaway on the coast. Thus, Poppy has no choice but to travel with the ship to Lisbon.

One of the things I really loved about this book was that, despite the short length of time that their knowing each other spans (6 days), their relationship seems to develop naturally and isn't at all instalove-y. It's a great slowburn (they only kiss once until about 80% through!), and there's the perfect amount of growing tension between Andrew and Poppy. They also conform to pretty much one of my favourite ever tropes - hate (or rather, kind of snarky dislike) to love. In this series, I think their relationship comes second only to Billie and George's in the first book. (Billie and George also showed up briefly at the end of the book, which I loved, but now I'm really feeling the urge to reread their book.)

In some historical romances, I've found that, although I like the romance, I'm not too keen on the individual characters. That is definitely not the case for this book. Despite Andrew playing a bit too much into the rake tropes for my liking, I did love him, and I also loved Poppy a lot. She reminded me a bit of Billie, who is by far my favourite character of the series, but she was also comfortably her own character. Quite honestly, I would read a hundred more books about the Bridgertons, starting with Poppy.

Besides all this, I don't really know what else to say about the book. It's one of those ones that you like so much you actually can't find the words to say how you liked it. But, in an attempt to do just that, let me tell you this: I now really just want to go on a historical romance bingeread and it's all this book's fault.

0 comments:

Post a Comment