Saturday 28 January 2017

Review - "See You In The Cosmos"

See You in the Cosmos
by Jack Cheng
rating: ☆☆☆☆☆
published: 2nd March 2017
spoilers? no

Goodreads

Galley provided by publisher

See You in the Cosmos is written as a series of recordings, made by Alex Petroski, emulating his hero, Carl Sagan, who sent the Golden Record into space. The story follows Alex as he first treks to a rocket convention, and then home (via a circuitous route), finding new friends and family along the way.

I genuinely don't know how to describe this book. It's a wonderful read, though very emotional, and made even more so by dint of being from Alex's point of view. There were several parts which had me near tears. It may be marketed as a middle grade book, but I think that it's one everyone can read and enjoy.

The characters are also amazing, and I loved every single one of them. They're wonderfully flawed human, and best of all, they're realistic. On occasion, I feel like books aimed at younger children try to simplify things overly, but this book didn't have that problem. It has discussions about love, and family, and even touches on mental illnesses.

I really just don't know how to put into words just how much I loved this book. Everything about it was brilliant, and undoubtedly I'll be going back to it over and over to reread. It's gone straight onto my favourites list, and you can bet I'll be telling everyone to read it once it's out.

0 comments:

Post a Comment