Monday 27 February 2017

Review - "Another Brooklyn"

Another Brooklyn
by Jacqueline Woodson
rating: ☆☆☆☆
published: 2nd February 2017
spoilers? no

Goodreads

I know now that what is tragic isn’t the moment. It is the memory.


Galley provided by publisher

Another Brooklyn is about August, an anthropologist, who, in Brooklyn for her father's funeral, sees an old friend, which brings back memories of her childhood and the formation and falling apart of her friendship with a group of girls. Most of the book is taken up with retelling her childhood, following her move from Tennessee to Brooklyn.

I'm honestly at a loss as to how to review this book. It is so so good. The writing is wonderful, and so evocative. Perhaps the only issue I had is how short it was - I could read Jacqueline Woodson's writing forever, so I would totally have been OK with another 200 pages added on.

Other than that, I don't have much more to say about this book. There's very little that actually happens in the book - it's all recounted - but despite that, I was completely hooked from the start.

0 comments:

Post a Comment