Friday 10 February 2017

Review - "The Upside Of Unrequited"

The Upside of Unrequited
by Becky Albertalli
rating: ☆☆☆☆☆
published: 11th April 2017
spoilers? no

Goodreads

Here's the thing they don't tell you about time: there are spaces in between seconds. And sixty seconds is actually a pretty huge number. Three hundred seconds might as well be infinity seconds.


Galley provided by publisher

Becky Albertalli has to be hands down one of my favourite authors. Simon vs the Homo Sapiens Agenda was one of the best books I read a few years back, and The Upside of Unrequited, one of my most anticipated books this year, is more than on a par with it.

I don't really have words for how much I loved this book. I adored almost everything about it. Becky Albertalli's writing style, as usual, was great, and sounded so realistically like the voice of a teenager. I don't think I've read another author that writes such a realistic teenage voice.

Then there were the characters themselves. Even if I didn't like every single one of them, they were so well-written, and they formed a diverse cast too. The only characters I wasn't a huge fan of, were Cassie, on occasion - if only because she insisted in interfering, and also then got annoyed at Molly being reasonably angry at something she'd done - and Mina - I may never forgive her that comment about Reid. I would have liked to see to some extent, Mina get called out for the comment she made - Molly did mention it in her POV but I feel like it might have been better to have her confront Mina with that opinion. Because Mina never appears to change that view (though she only expresses it once), and I'd have liked to have seen that.

Besides that, for me, this book was near on perfect. And it's definitely one I'll be recommending to everyone.

0 comments:

Post a Comment