Monday 5 December 2016

Review - "The Blazing Star"

The Blazing Star, Nemesis #1
by Imani Josey
rating: ☆☆☆
published: 6th December 2016
spoilers? yup

Goodreads

Galley provided by publisher

If I'm honest, this book dragged a bit too much for me. It took a good two thirds of the whole thing to actually get to the part where there was any action, and I need to be hooked on pretty much the first page to fully like a book. So as it was I was a little disappointed.

Basically the slowness of the plot was the biggest issue I had with this book. It was also a pretty complex plot and I got lost on that a couple of times, which is also not going to help with my enjoyment.

Then there was the fact that Portia seemed to have more chemistry with Selene and Tuya than any of the male characters. But of course Tuya is then killed off to clear the way for Portia and Seti. The instalove with Seti is pretty stifling too. I know that loads more time passes in the book than appears, but even knowing that doesn't help that it seems they meet and he's immediately suggesting marriage. It's like their relationship hasn't developed at the same rate that time has passed, meaning it seems all the more like instalove.

There was also when the author kept referring to Selene as "the freshman" when she could easily have used her name. Or a pronoun. Because referring to someone by a noun, once they have a name, makes for awkward writing. Or at least it does for me.

0 comments:

Post a Comment