Thursday 17 March 2016

Review - "The Wall of Winnipeg and Me"

The Wall of Winnipeg and Me
by Mariana Zapata
rating:☆☆☆☆☆
published: 29th February 2016
spoilers? no

Goodreads

"What no one tells you is that the road to accomplishing your goals isn’t a straight line; it looks more like a corn maze. You stopped, you went, you backed up, and took a few wrong turns along the way, but the important thing you had to remember was that there was an exit. Somewhere."


What is it about Mariana Zapata and writing such amazingly believable relationships, all the while ramping up the sexual tension bit by bit until you think you're about to burst from impatience? This is the second book by this author that I've read and it's the same case as in the first, though at least this time I was prepared for the slow burn.

I loved Kulti when I read it last year, but I think I might just like this one better (it's a hard choice to make, OK. I love Sal Casillas and Vanessa Mazur equally, but I prefer Aiden to Kulti). This book also incorporates one of my favourite tropes ever - fake marriage - so that helps in giving it the slightest edge over Kulti.

There isn't really much more I can say, because I said it all when I reviewed Kulti; the slow burn is as amazing as usual, the characters are wonderful (especially Van and Aiden's interactions, and Van's relationship with Zac), and the way Mariana Zapata develops her relationships, from basically just acquaintances, to friends and finally to lovers, always kills me.

When I was reading it, I made a remark that it was so refreshing (frustratingly refreshing, but refreshing nonetheless) to see a girl interact with a guy other than the love interest without the love interest getting pissy. That's probably why I like Van and Zac's friendship so much. (Of course, then comes along another guy who Van knows and, surprise surprise, Aiden gets a little bit jealous. Thanks.)

Otherwise, as the 5-star review perhaps indicates, this book was amazing. Honestly, Mariana Zapata is one of those authors that I'll read any book by.

0 comments:

Post a Comment