Tuesday 22 March 2016

Review - "Him" and "Us"

Him and Us, Him #1 and #2
by Sarina Bowen and Elle Kennedy
rating:☆☆☆☆
published: 28th July 2015, 8th March 2016
spoilers? yes (minor ones)

Goodreads: Him, Us

But here’s the thing about family, Ryan… blood doesn’t mean shit. You just need to surround yourself with people who do love you, and they become your family.


This is going to be my review for both Him and Us.

I initially rated this book 4.5 stars, rounding up to 5 stars, because despite the few issues I had, it was an enjoyable and quick read.

The issues I had (briefly) were: the use of the word "bi-curious" and the idea that by dating a bisexual person, you're "competing with two genders" (which is frankly ridiculous). Despite those problems, I enjoyed the book enough to overlook them. And they used the word bisexual, which is always good.

And then I was rereading parts when I came across this gem:

Jamie releases a slow, even breath, as if he’s trying to calm himself. “I want to punch you right now, Wesley. Like, for real.” I set my jaw. “What, for daring to call you out on the fact that you’re still into women?”


And then I got sad, and rated this book down a star because of the stifling biphobia in this quote. Sometimes, part of me thinks that I shouldn't rage on about things characters do or say in books, because they're just characters, but there's an author behind the characters, and so there must be a basis for that though coming from the author. And it's not the first time Sarina Bowen has written something like this into one of her books. Understatement of the Year has this scene where one of the characters says that not wanting to label yourself something implies that you believe people who label themselves as such are second class. So from now on, I'm going to be incredibly wary of any Sarina Bowen books.

Luckily, Us didn't have such blatant biphobia in it. It wasn't entirely free of the issue, with at one point, Wes thinking that Jamie might yet still break up with him to get together with a woman so he could have kids and a family (haven't you heard of adoption or surrogacy, Wes?).

Overall, both books were cute and good reads, and obviously I'm going to reread them over and over some time. I just wish they didn't contain such biphobia.

0 comments:

Post a Comment