Thursday 17 March 2016

Review - "The Book of Phoenix"

The Book of Phoenix
by Nnedi Okorafor
rating:☆☆☆
published: 5th May 2015
spoilers? no

Goodreads

"To know someone's pain is to share in it. And to share in it is to relieve some of it.


Who Fears Death has been on my to-read list for a while, and I picked this one up in the bookshop, not realising it was the prequel to that. Overall, I enjoyed this one, although I found it hard to get into and the writing seemed a little choppy at times.

The Book of Phoenix tells the story of Phoenix, a genetic experiment created in the mysterious Tower 7, following her as she realises that the Big Eye (the people in charge of Tower 7) are not as good as she originally believes and works to destroy them.

It reminds me a lot of X-Men, for one, and I think that's mostly because Phoenix had wings and made me think of a combination of Storm and Angel. For the most part though, it wasn't that interesting. Not a lot seemed to happen for most of the book (or at least, it seemed to happen at not a particularly frenetic pace, which seemed kind of unrealistic given what was going on) and I found it kind of hard to get through (I was also snowed under with work and exam revision, so that may have contributed, but I still managed to read some other books in that time).

Also, at times, the writing seemed choppy and didn't flow very well. This mostly happened with speech - a lot of the time it didn't feel like how someone might actually speak, and that made it a little difficult to read easily.

Anyway, I did like this book, and I'm definitely going to be reading Who Fears Death when I can get my hands on it.

0 comments:

Post a Comment