Wednesday 17 May 2017

Review - "Flame in the Mist"

Flame in the Mist, Flame in the Mist #1
by Renee Ahdieh
rating: ☆☆☆☆☆
published: 18th May 2017
spoilers? no

Goodreads

There is such strength in being a woman. But it is a strength you must choose for yourself. No one can choose it for you. We can bend the wind to our ear if we would only try.


Galley provided by publisher

You would think, after the ending of The Wrath and the Dawn, I would have learned that the only way to read Renee Ahdieh's duologies is to read the first the day before the second comes out, so that I'm not left suffering over a cliffhanger for an entire year.

I didn't learn.

Flame in the Mist is a retelling of Mulan set in Feudal Japan. On her way to marry the emperor's second son, Mariko's convoy is ambushed and Mariko is left to die. Believing the ambush to have been the work of the Black Clan, she decides to infiltrate their ranks and find out why they tried to kill her.

Once again, Renee Ahdieh manages to weave a captivating story, full of twists and turns (and cliffhangers) that you would never expect. (Though you should probably expect the cliffhanger.) I saw none of the twists coming, and each had me a little more excited than the last. The characters are, as per usual, wonderful, and I loved each and every one of them.

So, really, the only complaint I have is that I now have to suffer an unknown amount of time until I can see this conflict resolved.

0 comments:

Post a Comment