Friday 5 May 2017

Review - "Goodbye Days"

Goodbye Days
by Jeff Zentner
rating: ☆☆☆☆☆
published: 6th April 2017
spoilers? not really

Goodreads

For the most part, you don't hold the people you love in your heart because they rescued you from drowning or pulled you from a burning house. Mostly you hold them in your heart because they save you, in a million quiet and perfect ways, from being alone.


Galley provided by publisher

Honestly, I should really have expected how much this book would wreck me. I mean, it's Jeff Zentner. The Serpent King actually had me in floods of tears so I should have known this one would too. And I did expect to an extent that it would, I just didn't realise I'd be reading through my tears at points (chapter 24 was especially rough).

I loved pretty much everything about this book, but if there was one thing I didn't it was the romantic subplot (although it never fully came into fruition it was definitely hinted at). I didn't necessarily think that Carver falling in love with his dead best friend's girlfriend was really needed. I mean, the plot would have been just as good if they'd been friends and that was it. I guess it added a bit of angst but it wasn't like that couldn't have been achieved another way.

But in general, the book was amazing, and I would definitely recommend it to anyone who wants to have their heart ripped out and torn up.

0 comments:

Post a Comment